Sunday, June 07, 2009

A Message from the Aether

For as long as I can recall, I've collected bits of wisdom, quotes, and epigrams that I've found amusing, interesting, or worth pondering. I'm fairly certain I started collecting because a girl I knew (and wanted to date) had her own collection. (Amazing how that works, isn't it?)

At first, I wasn't very organized about it. I just scribbled things down. I didn't keep very good track of my sources either. I was simply saving random bits of knowledge that spoke to me in some way. I couldn't tell you where I'd found it, who had written/spoken it, or where it was originally published...but I had the wisdom.

Sometimes, I'd print things out and tape them to places where I'd see them on a regular basis, including computer monitors, keyboards, refrigerators, etc. The photo shows one such poem after a bit of mileage beyond what is typical.

I found the paper in the driveway one morning, dripping wet, bedraggled, and a little worse for wear. I don't know how it got there and I'm not sure how long it had been there. The point is that I found it and realized it was something I'd saved years before. It was something that had helped me get through college.

I can't tell you where it's from and I have no idea who to credit it to. I can tell you that I added the last line because the poem itself made a lot of sense to me at the time.

I thought I'd share it because it showed up at a time I needed the reminder.

The text is as follows:

It's not easy...

-- to apologize,
-- to begin over,
-- to be unselfish,
-- to take advice,
-- to admit error,
-- to face a sneer,
-- to be charitable,
-- to keep trying,
-- to be considerate,
-- to avoid mistakes,
-- to endure sucess,
-- to profit by mistakes,
-- to forgive and forget,
-- to think and then act,
-- to keep out of a rut,
-- to make the best of little,
-- to subdue an unruly temper,
-- to shoulder an undeserved blame,
-- to recognize the silver lining.

But it always pays (generally)


You might think it's a little much, maybe even a little preachy. Like I said, it was something I was grateful to find and re-read after all the recent drama. I took it as a message from the aether, something the Universe had placed at the right place and the right time to remind me of the kind of person I want to be, if I can.

I thought I'd share. Enjoy.

--f

Photo credit: Me.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Whitesnake said...

See there ya go LIGHT at the end of the tunnel!

Cheer up ya ole bugga....SEE end of the road......

3:53 PM  
Blogger chulita4 said...

It's evident you already are that kind of person. You need to remember that you (we) are also human. We are in human form here so on this Earth, so when something painful occurs in our lives we go through all the normal human emotions. But we are also Spirit and those words that you have come across every now and then throughout your life and have been collecting speak to that part of you that is Spirit.

I'm glad to hear some peace and much less pain in your words this time. Thank you for sharing.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home