Thursday, June 21, 2007

A Day in the Life...Just a Day

Today marks a solstice, summer in the northern hemisphere and winter in the southern. According to Wikipedia, it is also the anniversary of the end of the Tauranga Campaign in the New Zealand Land Wars (1864), of Guam's becoming a U.S. territory (1898), of the fall of Tobruk during World War II (1942), of the acquital (by reason of insanity) of John Hinckley, Jr. in the assassination attempt of U.S. President Ronald Reagan (1982).

It is the birthday of Jean-Paul Sartre (1905), Jane Russell (1921), and Lalo Schifrin (1932), who composed the well-known theme for the television program Mission Impossible.

Today also marks the anniversary of the deaths of Niccolò Machiavelli (1527), John Lee Hooker (2001), and Carroll O'Connor (2001).

Ten years ago, I actually wondered what today would be like, as (at that time) it would have marked the tenth anniversay of my marriage to Pamela (Kara's mother). Knowing now what I didn't know then, I am grateful that anniversary never came to pass. I can only imagine the pain, misery, and futility I would have felt today.

Instead, I am happy in my marriage (to JP) and look forward to going through life with a partner who builds people up, rather than tearing them down. I feel lucky to be with someone who listens to--and enjoys--my point of view. I am honored to be building a life with someone I like spending time with. We're buying a house together (yikes) and I'm really looking forward to creating a home for our family.

Thank you, JP, for making today a day of joy, happiness, and peace for me...like so many others in our life these days. It's just a day on our life...and I couldn't be happier.

The following poem is dedicated to my lovely wife and others who have survived with their hearts and integrity intact.

We do not know where our path will lead
Until we look back to see where we have been.
We do not know what we will see
Until we remember what we have seen.
We do not know how we will survive
Until loving arms surround and support us.
Move forward with faith, trust, and hope.
You will only fail if you stop believing.

Photo credit: Me. I took it when JP and I visited Paris a few years back.

4 Comments:

Blogger JP (mom) said...

I'm so thrilled that we can create something else that is better for both of us. Today is OUR day. Tomorrow is OUR day. The future is ours. I love you baby, xxxxx, JP

11:03 PM  
Blogger Whitesnake said...

Well I never!
Another man of many talents!

5:55 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Such a lovely poem and wonderful post! Am thrilled ya'll (I'm still a Southern girl at heart) found a great house, but more importantly, that you found your way back to each other.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Shaz said...

I loved this post it just re-confirmed how sweet you two are I love and respect both of you so much.
The house is gorgeous I cant wait to see it (lol hint hint)
I have to go back and catch up.
XXXX

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home