Monday, July 16, 2007

We Have Started Moving!

We started moving this past weekend. Saturday, we cleared out the storage unit, which generally consisted of a lot of my junk stuff, along with some furniture. With a little help from our friends, we got everything moved into the digs. (Most of it went into the garage for later unpacking and, I'm sure, reducing.)

Yesterday (Sunday) morning, we got up and (with JP's help) over to the new house to finish some chores before the major move day. She painted primer on one of DD's walls while I took care of a number of little chores, like installing the washer and dryer. (Memo to self: pick up plumbing tape for the hose connections before we do laundry.) We also reorganized the garage, making room for the boxes currently waiting patiently in the old garage.

We discovered that one couch meant for the media room will not, in any way, shape, or form, be able to be moved into the media room. It's too long for the stairs and the 30" doorway is too narrow. I also had to do some repairs on a media armoire that I've owned for years. It's a lovely piece, but I think I'm finally ready to let it go. We're planning to put both pieces on craigslist and, with luck, we'll get enough to justify a nifty, new widescreen TV for the media room.

Our new neighborhood seems nice. We've met some of the neighbors and the girls have already made friends with one of the neighborhood children. I'm happy to see that, for Kara hasn't had much of a chance to make friends when she's with us. She's made a couple this summer and I'm happy to see that.

Tonight, I stopped by the house and finished painting DD's wall. Kara was hoping to play with her new friend, but was disappointed.

After the weekend of hard work, my muscles ache. I can't wait until we get the hot tub checked out and useable. I could use a good long soak right now.

We have one more big moving day ahead of us...Friday. Fortunately, we've hired a couple of movers to help load and unload the U-Haul. I know the next weekend is going to be as busy as the last, but at least we'll be in our new home, then.

It's a lot of work, this moving business, but it's also worthwhile. Both JP and I are exhausted, but we're both looking forward to really creating a home together, a place truly our own. It's not that we don't like the place we live in; it's just that, well, it's not ours. There's a difference between a place you rent and one you (and the bank) own.

Besides the hot tub, there are a couple of features of our new home that I really love. It has an office space that JP can use as a place to write and it also has a family room large enough for my bookshelves, books, computers, and video game system. It'll take some time, but I really think our new place will be a terrific nest for us.

Now, if you'll excuse me...I have an appointment with 600 mg of Ibuprofen. Perhaps even 1200 mg.

Photo credit: Russ Kwan, c/o The Vancouver Gallery of Photography

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Giggles said...

Ibuprofen is my friend!! Sounds like you've got things pretty well planned out. It's really nice to give yourself time to move. I've not made many moves in my life....but the last two were a nightmare. Way too fast and chaotic for my taste. I like it organized! Very happy to see you guys getting a place together to build roots! I've never rented anywhere, but I don't think I would like it much!

Peace Giggles

12:21 AM  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

Yup - we're doing it!!

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My question is, why do they make doorways so darn small? I can't tell you how many times I've had to unhinge a door to get a normal-sized piece of furniture through. Something is wrong with that picture.

I had no idea the moving was STILL going on. Bless yall's hearts. I hate moving, but to a house that is your own...it's worth it!

I just found your blog again. I had lost it, along with your email in the bulk folder...ack. Well, now I can finally use that RSS feed code you sent me. Thanks!

8:59 AM  
Blogger awareness said...

Here's to creating a home.....and sipping merlot in the hot tub....or perhaps some fancy umbrella drinks. I hear that ibuprofen you write of goes down best with umbrella drinks.

cheers.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home