Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A Little Light Reading

Sorry for being so quiet lately. Everything's fine, I've just been a bit busy lately.

JP is recovering nicely from her recent procedure. She's not yet 100%, but she's getting there. Her humor's back and it's nice to see her lively again.

What amazed me most through this experience was how tired *I* felt. No matter how much I slept last week, I felt like I was always on the verge of nodding off. We're sure it was a combination of me worrying about JP leading up to (and during) the surgery as well as the extra running around while trying to stay on top of the chores.

A few weeks ago, JP and I went to an appointment with her OB/GYN regarding the surgery. While waiting, I looked through the various magazines for something that looked interesting. Not suprisingly, there were magazines about parenting, children, fashion, style, cooking, and other subjects that tend to appeal more to women than to men. There's nothing wrong with that, especially given the typical patient in that particular waiting area.

I wanted something, well, different. I searched through the nearby piles, looking for something more interesting to me. No luck. More of the same. I went over to the other side of the room, hoping there would be a least one news magazine. Some women read Time, don't they? Newsweek?

Nothing. I check out the third corner of the waiting room. Stacks of Parents magazine. Baby. Cosmo.

Come on! I know I'm not the only guy to ever show up in this waiting room. I can't be.

At this point, I'll take People, Entertainment Weekly, or even Highlights Magazine. Nothing.

Eventually, we were called back into an examination room. While waiting for the doctor, I looked at the magazines jammed into the little plastic hanger they usually have on the wall. It was more of the same...until I pulled out a rather large glossy from the back of the stack.

Now, I know I'm not the only guy to have been in the examination room.

It was clearly outside of the demographic.

It was a copy of Warships magazine. Not exactly my cup of tea, but it's better than trying to find something palatable in cosmetics ads.

Of course, that's when the doctor showed up. Oy!

I know; "keep my day job." For those that are still reading, here's what I think it about the funniest thing I've read in a few weeks.

Photo credit: U.S. Navy

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Whitesnake said...

I read.......just sometimes ya post are in a time far far away.

Do you like Dr Who?

4:59 PM  
Blogger Shaz said...

I loved an Inconvenient Truth I posted about it. I hadnt heard the last debacle about the oscars untill now(how will i sleep)
I cant stand the crap stu.pidity is rife hey?

By the way sweet did you get that kiss I sent????

Take care of you too!!!!

And I loved Dr Who (smile)

4:45 AM  
Blogger Footpad said...

@Snake, I know my posts sometimes come from far left field. This may help put that silly link in context.

@Shaz, I did get the kiss. Thank you, sweetie; I like that sort of thing. And, yes, it's hard to take the stu.pid.ity of those who think they're so cool they can fake the rest of us who think.

And, for the record, I haven't watched the new Doctor. I should, I know. I tend to bond with one TV show at a time and we poor Americans didn't get to see Christopher Eccelston or David Tennant until after the re-imagining of another classic SF series that I bonded to.

Mind you, I loved Peter Cushing and Tom Baker (seen, of course, as syndicated repeats and rentals) and it's hard to watch someone else trying to wield the sonic screwdriver.

Orbital, BTW, has a great techo remix of the good Doctor's theme music (which I do love).

On the whole, I have to confess that I'm more of a Hitchhiker's Guide fan and can quote long passages from the original BBC radio play. (And, yes, that includes bits cut from the American re-broadcasts on NPR.)

I try hard to hide my geekiness when I'm in public (so as not to embarass my lovely wife), but you really don't want to get me started...because I really *am* a geek.

I will post a new entry soon. I promise.

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home