Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A Touch of Brilliance in the Middle of Winter

JP sometimes refers to what she calls my "commuter series" of photos. The "series," such as it is, is not artistically planned. It's more of a series of pictures opportunistically snapped while driving. My digital camera has an untraditional form factor that lets me take pictures with one hand. Yes, they're usually blurry due to the movement of the vehicle, but every once in a while, I luck into a good shot.

(In high school, I learned the secret of good photography was to take *lots* of pictures and hope one of them turns out well. Oh, sure, you should pay attention to composition, shutter speed, and the like. But, the best photos are shots that slip in while you're trying to compose better ones.)

When I'm stuck in traffic, I sometimes use the time to learn more about my camera and what I can do with it. Digital cameras have this neat advantage over traditional cameras; you don't have to develop the images and can delete the cruddy ones immediately.

Today's photo is of Mount Rainier and shows an unusual feature in this winter's weather...sunlight and a touch of clear sky. Oh sure, Seattle has a reputation for being wet and rainy, but most locals (when they decide to admit it) will tell you that while we do get a bit of rain, some decent weather sneaks in from time to time.

Given that not much more than a week ago, things looked like the photo to the right, I'm happy to see us return to more, um, "normal" weather patterns.

Now, if we could just magically redesign the local mass transit systems to actually serve the south and east sides of the metropolitan area, I'm sure I would be a very happy scoundrel indeed.

2 Comments:

Blogger paris parfait said...

It's a beautiful photo and you're right about the transit system - needs to be more in and around cities, to reduce pollution and commute times.

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love it when Mt. Fuji is out like that. And since my kids hate it when I call Mt. Rainier by its Mt. Fuji nickname, I'm obligated to do so at every opportunity.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home