Wednesday, November 22, 2006

If My Dad Had Done It, What I Would Want to Know...

..is if he'd really done it. Not conjecturally, but actually. Truth, not fantasy.

I would also want to know why he kept dragging my emotions through the wringer, as I'm sure I would have a pretty difficult time getting over it.

The b'sphere is aghast and agog over OJ's recent attempt to milk yet another 15 minutes fame from the American Public. And it's all a-twitter with Fox's sudden coming of age realization that maybe there are things too sensational to actually publish.

Still, as a parent and...before that, a child...what I want to know is if my Dad had acted on the murderous impulses he felt toward my mother, what sort of sick f*ck puts his children through this tragedy, time after time?

I've read a number of anti-OJ articles (well deserved) and I hardly wish to give the man more ink. However, I've yet to see anyone (especially him) step up for the rights and feelings of his children, Sydney and Justin, now 21 and 18 respectively.

All of this reminds me of the tagline of the one movie that Mr. Simpson was involved with that I actually liked. (If you've been paying attention, you know I like to fiddle with movie tag lines) So, I find myself wondering (with a bare minumum of respect) whether or not "[t]he confession was a sham. The murders were real."

Sydney, Justin, if you ever read this post, I humbly apologize. You've been through more Hell than anyone should ever carry. As a father who frequently restrains anger, resentment, and fury for the sake of his child, I apologize in situ for the person your father should have been.

Regardless of what you think of your father, I wish for you peace and then acceptance. There's nothing I can say, as an outside observer, to make the pain easier to bear. As a father of a child in a situation that is, well, less than ideal, I can only say, I'm sorry your father disappointed you in this way.

Regardless of what I feel toward my youngest child's mother, nothing would ever impel me to actually consider taking her life, let alone following through with it. The very idea of fills me with horror. And nothing would ever impel me to try to cash in on her death in any fashion.

It has been said that the veneer of civilization is very thin. I believe its thickness can be measured by the love of a child. I may not respect or care for the person my child chooses to love, but I honor her choice to love that person. Would that Mr. Simpson had as much integrity.

Mr. Simpson, if you have something to confess, then do so...to your priest, your therapist, or whoever. Leave your children...and the rest of us...out of it. Please.

If you did it, you should not explain yourself to us. You should not ask us to understand or to forgive you. Instead, you should face your children and their righteous condemnation. If you did it, then stop pretending and just 'fess up.

Not for our sake, but for Sydney and Justin's. They deserve to know the truth. But not in public. Please, for the love of everything that's sacred, tell them what happened and then fade. Don't try for any more more moments of fame.

Your day is done, Sir...especially if you've more responsibility to bear than you have to date. Please step gracefully into the twilight of obscurity.

3 Comments:

Blogger Time said...

Well said. I wish OJ would take a step into obscurity, too (or take a step into the path of Mack truck).

8:46 AM  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

I agree Tim. Well stated dear F ... it's about time someone truly considered the children in all this disgusting mess. much love, JP

9:17 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Hear, hear! Well said. Those children have been through enough pain already.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home