Friday, March 14, 2008

Overture, Curtain, Lights!

Overture, curtains, lights,
this is it, the night of nights
No more rehearsing
and nursing a part
we know every part by heart

Overture, curtains, lights
this is it, you’ll hit the heights
And oh what heights we’ll hit
on with the show this is it


-- The Bugs Bunny, Road Runner Hour

Tonight is opening night! Yes, I'm in a play, which is one reason why I haven't posted this last week. We (as in the cast and crew) have been dealing with that phase lovingly called Hell Week, a week where we run the play as if it's opening night. Or, rather, we try to. The first couple of days generally involve working out the technical details, such as making sure the light cues are correct and that the set changes are properly choreographed.

Last week, I was out of town for a conference. This week, I've had rehearsals until at least 10:30 p.m. DD and Kara have seen me more than JP has. I'm not complaining, mind you. But, it has been pretty difficult. I'm very happy that we're finally opening.

Actually, I'm pretty excited overall. This is the first play I've done since 1999 and the second since '94. JP has been completely supportive and that's meant the world to me. I know it's been hard not having me around in the evenings.

I love being involved in live theatre and it's been great to work the rust out of some old skills.

The photo shows my make-up kit, which contains numerous items I found useful when I was doing plays on a more regular basis, including a corkscrew, safety pins, multiple eyebrow pencils, toothpaste, aspirin, a sewing kit, matches, a pair of D10 dice, a curtain hoop that doubled as a wedding ring (before I had one of my own), and many mementos of other shows.

The newspaper photo shows me, as a much younger man, in one of the final shows I was in before I let life take me in directions away from the theatre. I thought about all the things that have happened to me since that photo was published. If I were to try that role again today, the performance would be much different.

But, then, that's one way why we produce plays over and over again, isn't it? To see how they affect us now and to see if they affect us differently than they might have in the past.

This production has been a terrific experience. I will have to keep my eyes open for another project. I think, though, that I'll wait a little while. I know a certain poet (and two little girls) who are looking forward to a little quality time with their resident actor.

And, for those who are either hankering for a bit of nostalgia (or those who never watched The Bugs Bunny, Road Runner Hour), here's the introduction.


free music



Photo credit: Me

5 Comments:

Blogger Giggles said...

Break a Leg, enjoy the glitz! Congratulations on following your bliss. That can be a difficult choice at times! You know what they say behind every good man....is a Jane Poe (AKA Deb)!!!

Hugs Sherrie

12:23 AM  
Blogger Whitesnake said...

"To be or not to be! That is the question."

Me........I finks you will do just fine!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Whitesnake said...

and just HOW did it go?

4:18 AM  
Blogger Whitesnake said...

You have gone and die on us have ya?

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, dear friend, I'm so glad to see that you're back under the lights.

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home